Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Take on the BCS National Championship Game

I wrote this as a reply to my dad and figured I might as well share my thoughts on the game. I was able to watch the entire game- the first half from school while my students played games and the second half from home. After the game I went into my room and laid down staring at the ceiling for awhile. I had a couple of beers and I was buzzed and felt a little tingly. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon and I felt a lot like Willard in the opening scene of Apacolypse Now, just going mad. I felt very hurt and will for a long time, but we leave for a long and much anticipated vacation in Southeast Asia today so that definitely helps.

Here are my thoughts...

I don't think either team played their best game, which is understandable given the stage and the fact that we are talking about 20 year olds. Five weeks between games really is a joke. You can say that our defense played as well as we could have hoped for and they did have a decent game, but still they overthrew a couple of touchdown passes.

The two biggest problems I had with the game are the Cliff Harris non-interception call (looked like a clear pick) and the second DT interception. We were driving and should have come away with points there. That was a stupid throw.

I think that you have to go for it on 4th down because that is what we have done all year. The last drive of the game was just kind of a fluke thing, but I still think that Auburn attempts a FG to win the game no matter what, maybe just from further out.

I have one buddy who says that we shouldn't have run it up the middle when backed up against our own end zone and maybe he is right. That 9 points was a huge turning point. I don't know what else you do there though and risk a turnover. We already had the big play with Mael and I don't think they would have allowed that again.

Of course, it all comes down to the penetration of their D line. Fairley was a beast, but it wasn't just him. It is frustrating when they are in the backfield like that all game and near impossible to win.

Even with all that said we still had the game tied with 2:30 left.

It sucks thinking that Chizick and Malzahn win the championship though. I hope Malzahn takes a job down the road and falls flat on his face. Everything I have read about him suggests that he has no personality. And now of course Newton declares for the draft. Why wouldn't he.

People who think that we are going to get back to the title game next year no problem are crazy. We open with LSU who will also challenge us up front and the Pac-12 winner now has an extra game to get through. As a fan, I think the ultimate goal is just the Rose Bowl each year and if the BCS game happens, it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment