Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What a Country!






I read the article in the link above earlier today and it really got me thinking about all of the crazy things that have occured in the U.S. since we have been gone. The Letterman scandal happened during our first couple of days here and at the time, I couldn't get enough of it. It just seems like a fascination with scandals/gossip/weird news and what-have-you's is what bonds me with my friends- that and sports I guess.

A quick rundown of news I have followed from afar the last 6 months:

Mark Sanford hiking the Appalachian Trail
John Edwards' love child
Balloon Boy
Letterman's affair/attempted extortion
Kanye West and Taylor Swift (seems silly now, but at the time it wouldn't die)
Steve Phillips and his frumpy mistress
Tiger Woods' Thanksgiving Night
Tiger Woods' infidelity
Late Night Wars
Brittany Murphy dies and her husband and mom seem really creepy about it
Gilbert Arenas
Tiger Woods' weird apology press conference
The slew of UO football trouble

I guess the point is that no matter how far away from the U.S. you are, you always take it with you. I can't really imagine these happenings being real "stories" anywhere other than in the U.S.

There are only 2 instances when I can recall my Korean co-workers commenting on celebrity happenings in their country and that was when one of their movie stars' sons died of swine flu and, of course, Kim Yu-Na in the Olympics.

They do keep up on the U.S. news though. Can you imagine how difficult it was for me to attempt to explain Balloon Boy to them?

2 comments:

  1. not sure why the link to the Letterman article won't post, but it is in the new Vanity Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete