Saturday, August 28, 2010

Americans Are Monocellular

During our layover in Tokyo on Wednesday Sami and I sat and watched a tv screen downstairs in a waiting room that ran the news, the weather and even an informative piece on the cultivation and countless culinary preparations of wasabi root. As I sat dreaming about all the sushi I cannot afford a rolling scroll near the bottom of the screen shifted my attention. Apparently, a Japanese law maker who plans on running for Prime Minister had recently visited the US and, while praising its great democracy, labeled all citizens of my birth nation "simple minded" and "monocellular." Basically, he thinks we're stupid.

I was outraged and let fly a series of expletives Sami did not approve of. I was insulted, and angry that fellow countrymen seated near us read the same message and didn't bat an eye. What gives this guy the balls to slander a nation of hard-working, free-thinking and insanely diverse individuals. This guy must be off his rocker, I thought...and then I read this.

FML.

Has it always been like this, or do I just notice it more now that I have been gone for so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment