Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 11th

They tell you to try your best to remember all you can of your wedding day. The day goes by so fast that it is impossible to recall every minor detail. Funny, but it is the minor details that stick out the most, especially those leading up to the ceremony and reception, before scotch and sleepiness stole recollections of the rest.

The ceremony and reception was held on Sami's mom and stepfather's property. Their neighbor friends let me shower beforehand at their house and it was one of those nice showers with natural light from the surrounding forest engulfing the room in calm whiteness. It had stone floors and a glass encasement, and for the first time in days, I felt peaceful. My groomsman got ready across town in a friend's piss-stained tub/shower combo.

One of my groomsmen and I played ping pong while waiting for the photographer. I lost even though I am pretty sure he was trying to let me win. Since I have started playing more here in Korea, I realize that I needed to crouch down more and finish my follow through with the side of the paddle up between my eyes. When everyone was tuxed and ready, we took shots of jaeger bombs. My dad had one and he thought it was pretty tasty. When we got to the site we were all shocked to see that the bridesmaids had polished off their own half gallon of jaeger (compared to our fifth) and more than a few bottles of wine.

Sami and I opted to have pictures taken before the ceremony, so we posed for what seemed like hours as guests arrived. I admit to being a little cranky through the process as well as dehydrated. When we all gathered to prepare for the walk, I felt hungover, and needed to pound a bottle of water.


I was the first to arrive at the designated spot and Sami was the last. I had chided her for choosing a Celine Dion song, but when I saw her and her dad walking down, I got a little choked up. Apparently, my emotions started a chain reaction and in later pictures you can see my sister and other bridesmaids misting up as well. Months of wedding planning cannot prepare a man for that moment.


Tomorrow is our two year anniversary, and as we sat together this evening and felt the baby stretch and turn inside her belly, we reflected on married life to date. It hasn't always been easy. Six weeks after our wedding we moved to Korea, away from family, friends and distractions. We were all we had and it was not easy at first. It was a frustrating feeling of powerlessness to be an outsider, with so many accepted freedoms gone. I admit that I was not the easiest to live with that first week. However, over time we grew even closer, we became a team and a support system. We became self-sufficient, we created a plan for our future and started a family. I couldn't imagine life without her. She is the strongest, most intelligent and supportive woman I know and I am trying my best to recall every minor detail of every day with her.


Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment