Thursday, June 30, 2011

Eastern Medicine

My last doctors appointment took all of 10 minutes and cost the equivalent of $2 USD. The 90-minute roundtrip subway ride was more expensive (and time consuming). Upon arrival the nurses quickly checked my blood pressure, weight, and urine, and then I was ushered into my doctors office for a quick meeting. After a quick check for anemia and swelling I was pronounced very healthy. The doctor then briefly checked the babys heart rate and position using the ultrasound. She was pronounced healthy and in the correct position for birth- the same spot she has been in for the last 7 or 8 weeks now.

We dont have another doctors appointment until the middle of week 36. Joe is going to join me at that appointment so he can see the baby on the ultrasound since he wasnt previously allowed in the room when I had ultrasounds. By that point there probably wont be much to see considering she will probably be pretty cramped, but I guess we wont have to wait much longer before we get to meet her!

In addition to my doctors appointment, I decided to give acupuncture a try this week. I have very few pregnancy discomforts at this point, but in Asia acupuncture is revered as a cure-all for even the most minor ailments. Occasionally I experience heartburn/digestion problems or lower back pain at night, so I figured I might as well try it out and see if I like it, possibly reducing my discomfort. As a side note, I mainly notice heartburn/digestion problems on days when I dont stretch in the mornings. Apparently research shows that yoga/stretching does improve digestion/heartburn.

The appointment started with suction cup therapy. 8 suction cups were positioned at various points on my back and hooked up to a machine. The machine then causes the cups to rhythmically tighten and release. This practice has been around for thousands of years in various forms and originated in China. It is used to improve circulation, digestion, and aches and pains of various sorts. I was trying to practice my relaxation breathing while all of this was going on, but the baby was moving around so much that I couldnt focus. Whenever I lay down on my left side she seems to think it is play time, squirming around for 15-20 minutes before she relaxes again.

The cups leave marks for a couple of days- they look much worse than they are.

After the suction cup therapy ended the doctor carefully placed small needles on various different acupuncture points: my ankles, back, knees, ears, head, and wrists. The ones on my back stung briefly when they were inserted, but for the most part this process was painless. Once the needles were placed I felt extremely relaxed. It helped that the baby was now relaxed as well.

I have now had the treatment two times and I have another appointment tomorrow. Next week I will go two more times and then wont return until 35 weeks. At 35 weeks the acupuncture points change and the focus is on helping prepare my body for birth. Apparently research shows that acupuncture can shorten birth times, improve the bodys ability to relax, and improve the overall health of mother and baby. It can also help turn a baby from breech to head down. If the baby is late, there are acupuncture points that can stimulate contractions and help get things moving.

As far as results, I didnt notice anything different after my first acupuncture session, but I did experience positive results after the second session. I actually had heartburn when I arrived at the clinic, and I was pleased to find that after the treatment my heartburn was gone and I continued to feel good after consuming one of Joes spicy fish tacos.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. neonatal radiant warmer, portable suction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete